Eastern Cape Labour Market Overview 2020Q3 Download
Published - 14 Dec 2020
Statistical Analysis: Reports and Data
Date of Publication:
The Quarterly Review of the Eastern Cape Labour Market (QRELM) is a statistical release compiled by the Eastern Cape Socio Economic Consultative Council (ECSECC). The aim of the publication is to analyse the latest developments in the Eastern Cape labour market. The analysis is extended to include employment and unemployment dynamics for the two metropolitan cities in the province. The data used in the report is drawn from Statistics South Africa’s Quarterly Labour Force Survey (QLFS). This issue covers the third quarter of 2020 (2020Q3).
Eastern Cape labour market highlights: Third quarter 2020
- The Eastern Cape unemployment rate hits above 45%, highest in the country.
- The number of discouraged work-seekers in the province declined by 45.3%.
- The number of employed people increased by 3.7% to 1.212 million.
- The Eastern Cape youth (aged 15 - 34 years) unemployment rate reached an all-
time high of 60.2%.
- The labour force has a large share of people who have not completed secondary
- Female unemployment rate was 43.5% and that of males was recorded at 47.9%