Labour market report 2020Q4 Download
Published - 25 Mar 2021
Statistical Analysis: Reports and Data
Date of Publication:
Eastern Cape labour market highlights: Fourth quarter 2020
• The Eastern Cape unemployment rate hits 47.9%, the highest in the country.
• The number of discouraged work-seekers increased by 6.0% to 172 191.
• The number of employed people increased by 1.9% to 1.2 million.
• The Eastern Cape youth unemployment rate (aged 15 - 34 years) reached an all-time
high of 63.6%.
• The labour force has a large share of people who have not completed secondary education (44.0%).
• The female unemployment rate was 48.0% and that of males was recorded at 47.9% in 2020Q4.