The political leadership of the Province has resolved that there is a need for an Eastern Cape Economic Master Plan (ECEMP) encompassing policies and strategies that will facilitate the growth of the provincial economy.
The ECEMP will draw on all current strategies and plans pertaining to provincial economic development in the light of the Provincial Development Plan (2014), which was based on the New Growth Path (2010) and the National Development Plan (2012). These plans also should include provincial level plans such as the Provincial Industrial Development Strategy, Provincial Infrastructure Plan, Provincial Development Plan, Provincial Spatial Development Plan, etc. Further the ECMP will complement the National Development Plan in the EC.
The main aim of the ECMP project is to propose radical propositions to get the Province’s "economic ducks in a row” for innovation, greater productivity, growth, equity and employment by:
- Identifying cross-cutting economic development challenges and propose priority interventions.
- Identifying sector-specific challenges and propose sector-specific priority interventions, sequencing and prioritization models.
- Identifying regional economic development challenges and propose priority interventions.
- Providing a basis for decision-making on provincial economic development.
- Giving guidance on institutional arrangements and financial implications.
The ECMP will be an integrated economic development strategy for the province and its constituent regions, leading to the speeding up of the economic development of the province to meet the needs of deprived communities and underdeveloped areas
This project is a collaboration with the Department of Economic Development and Environmental Affairs. It is anticipated that ECSECC will be responsible for the following:
Project manager: Mr Russell Grinker
- Assist the provincial government in undertaking baseline studies as necessary and developing policies and strategies that will facilitate the growth of the provincial economy in line with the ECEMP.
- Facilitate development of the ECEMP by providing an avenue for formal inputs by all relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate development of the ECEMP by providing strategic technical and planning support to key stakeholders.
- Support the implementation of the ECEMP by relevant provincial government structures with the support of all key stakeholders in the Province.