The aim of this programme is to support the Office of the Premier, Provincial Government departments and Local Government in the field of development planning. This will include providing support to the centre of government in advancing a capable developmental state across spheres, buttressed by a strong integrating, planning and executing centre. This also includes transitioning provincial municipalities from the lower levels of the local government maturity to becoming developmental local government.
Objective of the programme:
To support the building of a capable development state.
Overview of the programme:
The programme focuses on support to the provincial and the local state.
Support to provincial government focus on the following:
- Provide Policy and Planning Support to the co-ordinating Departments, including planning support to the roll-out of the Vision 2030 Provincial Development Plan and the Provincial Strategic Framework, its implementation and review in partnership with the Office of the Premier (OTP)
- Provide Strategic Planning and Facilitation Services across the clusters of government
- Assessment of service delivery approaches in the province, research alternative models and pilot these in partnership with Departments
Local government support focus is on the following:
- Support Metropolitan and district municipalities in their economic development planning and in ensuring alignment with provincial development imperatives
- Development of a Municipal Support Framework, its implementation and Review in Partnership with Eastern Cape Department of Local Government Traditional Affairs (ECLGTA)
- Development, implementation of the Municipal Service Delivery Maturity Model in Partnership with ECLGTA
In the 2017/18 financial year the programme will focus on:
Strategic facilitation support to the (Office of the Premier) OTP and provincial departments in support of provincial catalytic projects. This includes joint support to the 2081/19 planning cycle with the OTP.
Cascading national and provinicial priorities to district municipalities and ensure 5 year IDP alignment with the NDP, PDP, and the P-MTSF and its sector strategies. This will be done through facilitating the development of long term district development plans in selected districts in the east of the province, in keeping with the organizational focus on O R Tambo and Alfred Nzo districts.
The work of SGS is complemented by the EG programme on facilitating partnerships and ensuring readiness for catalytic projects
Strategic planning support to other local, district and metropolitan municipalities.
Strategic Governance Support Projects
Personnel in the programme:
Mr Baphelele Mhlaba
Mr Libhongo Ntlokonkulu
Ms Lungiswa Dubula