The aim of this programme is to support the Office of the Premier, Provincial Government departments and Local Government in the field of development planning. This will include providing support to the centre of government in advancing a capable developmental state across spheres, buttressed by a strong integrating, planning and executing centre. This also includes transitioning provincial municipalities from the lower levels of the local government maturity to becoming developmental local government.
Objective of the programme:
To support the building of a capable development state.
Overview of the programme:
The programme focuses on support to the provincial and the local state.
Support to provincial government focus on the following:
- Provide Policy and Planning Support to the co-ordinating Departments, including planning support to the roll-out of the Vision 2030 Provincial Development Plan and the Provincial Strategic Framework, its implementation and review in partnership with the Office of the Premier (OTP)
- Provide Strategic Planning and Facilitation Services across the clusters of government
- Assessment of service delivery approaches in the province, research alternative models and pilot these in partnership with Departments
Local government support focus is on the following:
- Support Metropolitan and district municipalities in their economic development planning and in ensuring alignment with provincial development imperatives
- Development of a Municipal Support Framework, its implementation and Review in Partnership with Eastern Cape Department of Local Government Traditional Affairs (ECLGTA)
- Development, implementation of the Municipal Service Delivery Maturity Model in Partnership with ECLGTA
In the 2018/19 financial year the programme will focus on:
Provincial development planning
- Develop 5-year strategy for the Eastern Cape (2019-2024) and facilitate the popularisation thereof
- Develop framework and procedure for implementation of the 5-year plan in the Eastern Cape
- Support the OTP and Eastern Cape Planning Commission in the cascading of the provincial development plan to all spheres of government
- Facilitation of strategic planning sessions and provision of strategic information to departments and public entities to ensure integration and alignment with provincial priorities
- Support the OTP and Provincial Treasury strengthen the provincial information system
Local government planning
- Provide technical support to Local Government Coordination Nucleus (OTP, COGTA, Treasury)
- Provide technical support to IGR Structures (Municipal Support Advisory Committee, Local Government
- Facilitate strategic planning at municipal level and provision of strategic information to ensure integration and alignment with provincial priorities
- Facilitate support interventions in targeted local municipalities. These will largely be based on service level agreements between ECSECC and the respective municipalities.
Strategic Governance Support Projects
Personnel in the programme:
Mr Baphelele Mhlaba
Mr Libhongo Ntlokonkulu
Ms Lungiswa Dubula